Western Powers Reject Israel’s E1 Settlement Construction Plans

Western Powers Reject Israel’s E1 Settlement Construction Plans

August 22, 2026
By Mintesinot Nigussie

The governments of the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada and Norway have rejected Israel’s decision to publish construction tenders for the E1 settlement project in the occupied West Bank, warning that the development could undermine the prospect of a two-state solution.

In a joint statement, the governments said the planned settlement expansion would disrupt the territorial contiguity of the Palestinian territories by creating a “wedge” through the West Bank.

They urged Israel to immediately withdraw the plans and halt settlement expansion in the West Bank, saying such construction would further distance the region from a political settlement and damage Israel’s international standing.

The governments also warned companies against participating in the construction tenders, citing potential legal and reputational consequences.

“Businesses should not consider bidding for construction tenders,” the statement said, adding that companies should be aware of the risk of becoming involved in what the governments described as serious breaches of international law.

The governments said Israeli settlements in the West Bank are illegal under international law and cited the United Nations Security Council’s position on the issue.

The statement comes amid what the governments described as unprecedented levels of settler violence against civilians in the West Bank and restrictions affecting the Palestinian economy.

The governments said they had previously raised their concerns over the settlement expansion with Israel both privately and publicly.

They reaffirmed their support for a comprehensive and lasting peace based on a two-state solution and said they would continue to act in support of that objective.

Source: FSX Business News