Trump Administration Halts Orsted Offshore Wind Project in Rhode Island

By Mintesinot Nigussie
Published on 08/23/25

The Trump administration has ordered Denmark’s Orsted A/S to stop work on an offshore wind farm off the coast of Rhode Island, Bloomberg reported.

The Interior Department’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) issued an Aug. 22 directive requiring the company to suspend activities on the Revolution Wind project while officials conduct further review. The order stated that Orsted “may not resume activities until BOEM informs you that BOEM has completed its necessary review.”

The project, which had been scheduled to begin operations next year, represents one of the most advanced U.S. offshore wind developments. Its suspension marks another setback for the wind industry as the White House moves to scale back renewable energy initiatives advanced under President Joe Biden.

Earlier in August, the Interior Department canceled a large wind project in Idaho and said it would undertake a comprehensive review of the approval process for renewable energy projects on federal lands and waters. Officials said the review could result in additional halts to development, arguing that wind and solar projects received preferential treatment under the previous administration.