Former British Prince Released After hours in Detention

By Amanuel Janberu
Published on 02/20/26

Former British Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct.

Police arrested the 66-year-old former prince at his home on Thursday morning and searched two of his properties.

His brother, King Charles III, said in a statement about Andrew's arrest that "the law must be fully enforced" and that he would provide full support and cooperation to the police.

Police had previously announced plans to open an investigation into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's alleged links to American sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and his alleged passing of classified information.

The exchange of messages between the two individuals was recently made public by the US government.

On Thursday night, police announced that Andrew had been released from custody while under investigation.

This is the first time that the former prince, who has been in the news for years in connection with Jeffrey Epstein, has been arrested.

He has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing in the past.

Police have opened an official investigation into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor after an “in-depth review”, the police said.

The former prince was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and is not charged with any crime.