Congolese Forces Return to Uvira After M23 Withdrawal

By Amanuel Janberu
Published on 01/20/26

Congolese soldiers, supported by a pro-government militia, have reentered the strategic eastern town of Uvira, army officials and local residents reported on Monday.

The town was seized last month by Rwanda-backed M23 rebels, despite a U.S.-mediated peace agreement aimed at curbing regional violence.

The Congolese army confirmed regaining control on Sunday following the rebels’ withdrawal. "The Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo are actively continuing their deployment in Uvira and the surrounding areas to strengthen their positions and ensure the safety of the populace and their property," army spokesperson Mak Hazukay said.

Resident Alain Ramazani told The Associated Press that soldiers returned after more than a month of absence and are now operating alongside members of the pro-government Wazalendo militia.