Addis Ababa Police Investigate Circulation of Viral Assault Video

Addis Ababa Police Investigate Circulation of Viral Assault Video

August 18, 2026
By Mintesinot Nigussie

Addis Ababa Police said they have opened an additional investigation into the circulation of a video showing a teenage girl being assaulted, months after the underlying assault case had already been investigated.

The assault took place on October 24, 2025, in the World Bank area of District 4 in the Kolfe Keranio sub-city, according to the police. Three teenage students, Ferdos Mohammed, Eden Dawit and Hani Hussein, were identified as suspects in the assault.

Police said the three suspects had been arrested and placed in custody before the video circulated widely on social media. They were subsequently brought before a court and remanded while investigators collected evidence.

The police said they completed the investigation file and submitted it to the relevant justice authority after gathering the necessary evidence in connection with the assault.

The widespread circulation of the footage has since created a separate investigative issue. Police said publishing the video could expose the victim and her family to additional harm and that they had therefore taken the three suspects back into custody while investigating who recorded and released the footage.

The police statement did not identify who filmed or initially uploaded the video, nor did it disclose the specific charges brought against the suspects or the current status of the court proceedings.

The incident has drawn public condemnation on social media, with members of the public calling for those responsible for the assault to face legal action. Police said they welcomed the public’s concern and calls for accountability.

Source: FSX Business News